About Douglas Finestone, M.D.
Dr. Douglas Howard Finestone has been in private practice with Greenville Psychiatric Associates since January 2003. He previously was a professor of Psychiatric Medicine at the Brody School of Medicine at East Carolina University. Dr. Finestone graduated with Intermediate Honors from the University of Virginia and received his medical degree from the Medical College of Virginia – Virginia Commonwealth University, in Richmond, Virginia. He completed his residency and chief residency in psychiatry at Duke University Medical Center. Dr. Finestone is also a psychoanalytic training program. Dr. Finestone is a Distinguished Fellow of the American Psychiatric Association. He has been awarded the Clinical Research Award by the American Academy of Clinical Psychiatrists, and the Excellence in Teaching Award by the American Psychiatric Association. In 2006, the Consumers’ Research Council of America named him one of America’s Top Psychiatrists.
Partial List of Treatment Areas
- Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD)
- Adjustment Concerns
- Anxiety / Stress
- Bariatric Surgery Evaluation
- Bipolar I & II
- Cognitive Disorder
- Depression with Psychosis
- Eating Disorder
- FAA Clearance (Flight)
- Functional Neurological Disorders
- Gender Confirmation Surgery Evaluation
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Impulse Control (non-alcohol / drug)
- Memory Concerns
- Personality Disorder
- Post-Partum / Pregnancy Depression
- Psychoanalytic Psychotherapy
- Psychological Aspects of Mental Illness
- Severe Bipolar with Psychosis
- Pain Disorder
- Tourette's Syndrome
- Treatment Resistant Depression
- Women's Health - Hormonal Imbalance
- TelehealthSignifies the completion of a mental health telehealth training program
Education & Certifications
– Psychoanalyst from the University of North Carolina – Duke Psychoanalytic Institute
– Chief Residency of Psychiatry from Durham VA Medical Center
– Psychiatry Residency from Duke University Medical Center
– Doctorate from Medical College of Virginia
– Bachelors with Distinction from the University of Virginia
November 8, 2021
Dr. Firestone was very attentive to my needs. I'm so thankful that he was able to fit me into his schedule.
November 5, 2021
Very pleased with Dr. Finestone, great personality, very in tuned to listening to his patients, a great resource for family members to be able to feel like they are part of the healing process, because we are the caregivers 24/7 and it is so nice for someone to hear our voice also.
October 27, 2021
The physician was wonderful
September 22, 2021
The way Dr. Finestone made me feel comfortable and he actually listened.
September 20, 2021
Dr. Finestone is the best.
September 9, 2021
Dr Finestone is so easy to relay my concerns. I feel very comfortable in speaking to him when I do have a problem.
September 1, 2021
Dr. Finestone was very nice and welcoming
June 4, 2021
I absolutely love Dr. Finestone!!
May 18, 2021
Dr. Finestone is very nice and a great doctor.
May 12, 2021
The video and sound were excellent